Show your support for reconciliation with your gift. Reconciliation gifts uplift social healing where communities are struggling to overcome the legacies of residential schools, colonization, and violence.
- June 2016 marked the 30th anniversary of United Church’s apology to First Nations for the role it played in colonization and the destruction of Indigenous cultures and spiritual practices. In 2016, church communities are invited to reflect on these alongside the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action.
- United Church partner KAIROS is animating a Winds of Change campaign to carry forward the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action. Join the campaign for provinces and territories to secure mandatory curriculum in the residential school legacy, Treaties, and past and present Indigenous contributions to this country.
- The United Church received a request from church partners in El Salvador to attend a conference about seeking new approaches to reconciliation in spring 2016. The Moderator and two residential schools survivors attended along with other delegates. The trip was largely self-funded. El Salvador’s escalating violence is linked not only with a post-civil war context, but also with dispossession of Indigenous lands and destruction of Indigenous identity.
Learn More and Take Action
- Follow the Indigenous Justice and Residential Schools Facebook page.
- Participate in (or present!) the Blanket Exercise from KAIROS.